ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Health - Red Meat, Breast Cancer, and PostMenopausal Women

MEAT!

Yes, yes, I'm well aware of the fact that loving animals and loving my slabs of steak, lamb shanks and chops, and pig in all its tasty varieties are highly incompatible, but hey. Currently, I'm getting about 10 percent of my total calories from meat in any way, shape, or form, and mostly that way, et cetera, is chicken and fish. I'm eating lots of veges and whole grains and very very little meat. In fact I think I've had approximately 1 oz. of lamb (or any red meat at all) in the past 3 weeks. I do miss MEAT, but hey, as the authors of The China Study point out, the aim is not to live forever, it's to live what time one has as a reasonably able-bodied individual as opposed to a wheezing, panting, aching, tired, sweaty, stinky, suffering blob.

In all honesty, I do feel better on a largely vegan diet. But I'm not melting the weight off, which Jay is. On the other hand, Jay ate a lot of meat, and you just can't eat as much greenstuff, nor is it as calorically dense.

Auntie Beeb publicizes the results of studies showing that meat is especially significantly linked with breast cancer in older, postmenopausal women. Perhaps I'll have one steak a year, just as I currently eat pizza twice a year. I miss my meat in the way that one misses stuff that is BAD for ya. Once or twice a year, I buy a giant bag of potato chips and eat the whole thing in one sitting and then feel all sick for a day afterwards. But I do it anyway. My excuse being, well, it's once or twice a year, not every day. Yerk.

Labels: , , , ,

Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home