ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Food - Dinner at Casa de Los Gatos

Tonight's menu: Lion's Head.

Picture from someone else

I love Chinese, it's such a descriptive and metaphorical language. In English, this dish translates to Meatballs over cabbage and noodles. Lion's Head sounds infinitely better. I have three recipes for this dish. The other two were pretty good, although one from Kenneth Lo was one of those infamous double-triple cooking dishes, where you fry the meatballs, then steam them, then bake them in a tomato sauce. Very tasty, but I'm not interested in being a professional chef, just feeding myself and the Lau Beh good, tasty, nutritious, healthy, and FAST food. No, not fast as in commercially produced greaseballisms. I just don't want to spend two hours in the kitchen for one meal that feeds four. The Lion's Head recipe feeds four, and is very simple. I'll post it if I get any interest. I serve it over bean threads, noodles made from mung beans.

I'm also making Rasam Thakkali, which is urad dal cooked in tomatoes, tamarind, spices, and plain water (hee), and a Machchi Moolee which is fish (could be halibut, or escolar) cooked in coconut milk, lime juice, and spices, and a Thai recipe for asparagus beans. Shoot, I just remembered that I forgot to get the ingredients to make Thai Red Curry Paste. I guess I'll just have to root about and find a suitable substitute in the kitchen. I think I have some sambal oelek and some bean pastes of different types. We'll see.

Oh, yes, of course Basmati brown rice to go with all of these lovely dishes, and I think I'll make an asparagus in black bean sauce thingy in the wok, and stir-fried cabbage with broccoli, garlic, onions, ginger, and maybe a little ground turkey and rice wine. Yum.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!

4 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

This is making me hungry!

I've never heard of half of the ingredients you mention - they sound intriguingly exotic. Are they easily found where you live?

I like Thai food, what I've tried, but I tend to keep ordering what I know I like, instead of experimenting with something new that may not appeal.

Your posts about cooking spark my imagination and make me want to cook up a storm.

Maybe I'll make note of some of these ideas and try some of them out.

Do you have any favorite food blogs?

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

p.s. I googled a recipe for Lion's Head and it said you could use ground pork, chicken or turkey. Which do you prefer?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Hi, Sandy! The ingredients are pretty available (I'm not that far away from you!), and whatever I can't buy locally, I can get online from Dean&DeLuca or Penzey's or CMC. An excellent cookbook is Thai Home Cooking by Kamolmal Pootaraksa. The recipes are simple and easy to use, and the taste is authentic.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

I usually use ground pork to make Lion's Head, but this time I tried ground turkey, which is healthier and less expensive. I wasn't sure I'd like the recipe, and although it wasn't bad, it wasn't great, either. It required cooking the bean threads for 15 minutes after soaking in boiling water for 3 minutes. Too mushy. And no mushrooms. Humph. %^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home