ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Game, set, match

Well, as we approach the cheery war on christmas season where the Fox Boobs lunatics distract their stupid viewers with pointless, useless, dribble, there is an article by Michael Klare on TomDispatch.com of utmost importance to humanity about climate change and it ain't cheery at all.

In fact it makes me bloody fucking glad I never had kids as their future would be mighty fucking bleak if they even have a future at all.


Oh my.  This is one fine fucked up planet we are handing over to our kids as corporate greed speeds to extract and burn fossil fuels as fast as they fucking can in a race to make America the number 1 provider of fossil fuels in the world without any regard to the health of the planet we all must call home.


But rather than rant on, let me recommend you make the article required reading, especially if you have kids and care about their future.  Here's a taste clipped from it:



"No Hope for Averting Catastrophic Climate Change
Of all the findings in the 2012 edition of the World Energy Outlook, the one that merits the greatest international attention is the one that received the least.  Even if governments take vigorous steps to curb greenhouse gas emissions, the report concluded, the continuing increase in fossil fuel consumption will result in “a long-term average global temperature increase of 3.6 degrees C.”
This should stop everyone in their tracks.  Most scientists believe that an increase of 2 degrees Celsius is about all the planet can accommodate without unimaginably catastrophic consequences: sea-level increases that will wipe out many coastal cities, persistent droughts that will destroy farmland on which hundreds of millions of people depend for their survival, the collapse of vital ecosystems, and far more.  An increase of 3.6 degrees C essentially suggests the end of human civilization as we know it."

But will people sit up and take notice?  Or will they figure 2100 is a long ways off and they'll be dead by then anyway, when the calendar turns over 2100 and the temperature magically flips and ramps up that 3.6 degrees that we won't suffer until then.
Sorry folks, it won't work like that and we're already experiencing it.  Will humanity do anything about it?  I doubt it, but really, it is not smart to mess around with mother nature.  Game, set, match.  

Stumble It!

8 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger One Fly said...

It won't take until 2100! It will be much sooner than that.

Another example how the data on the rate of change is always much faster. They can nevwr measure that accurately because it's accelerating so quickly.

http://summitcountyvoice.com/2012/11/28/global-warming-sea-level-rising-much-faster-than-forecast/

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

Thank you One Fly for your comment and link. Another good article. It makes me wonder how long the deniers can keep on denying but I'm afraid that by the time the they wake up and realize global warming really is happening, it's going to be far too late to do anything about it all. Still somehow I hope ...

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger One Fly said...

Generally I keep my mouth shut when it comes to optimistic thinkers because we need those.

Not to take away from your optimism because I wish I had some of yours.

I would have if we were trying hard to change the environment or at the very least slow down dramatically the changes occurring. We are not.

We will do nothing. Nothing will be done because we are not even at a point where there can be an intelligent conversation on this issue. It's very dark out.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

Oh man, I hear you, believe me I do. I have one very smart friend who seriously expects that civilization will not last, at least as we have known it, past 2050, and that is probably being optimistic.

I have made my living in science and chemistry though and have worked with some very smart people, some of who are surprisingly Republicans. And deniers. I tried to argue with two of them about it once and got nowhere. They don't seem to realize that knowing a lot about one subject does not make them experts in subjects they have never studied.

And being Republicans, they are conditioned to hate Al Gore with all their hearts and as a result, anything Gore says or promotes has to be wrong no matter what. And neither one of them will reconsider. The last time I had the argument, I told one of them to not buy any beachfront property in Florida. He laughed.

It's sad. You know, I just want to tell these people, these deniers, if they are such god damn self appointed experts on the climate, then show me their fucking research that proves global warming wrong. Of course they can't.

But you are right. It is still very dark out. Money has access. Money talks and money bats first. But someone once said that even though Mother Nature bats last, Mother Nature bats a thousand and all the fucking money in the world cannot change that. Sigh.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger One Fly said...

Who am I? I never have thrown any numbers around because people look at you like you're fucking nuts. The 2050 number I agree is probably optimistic.

The look was like before the invasion of Iraq when we were screaming the WMD's was nothing but a pack of fucking lies!

I'm glad we share such close views. We are not talking opinions here but the reality and I double that sigh.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

You and me both One Fly, and TPC too! We are all of one mind here. I just wish I could write as good as TPC!

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger One Fly said...

just saw this and its with observations that definitely puts 2050 on the table.
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_22090311

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

Which coincides with this report from NASA:

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012/nov/HQ_12-409_Ice_Sheet_Sea_level.html

And for all these idiots who close their eyes to the fact, I can only wonder, how hot do they like it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home