ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Health - Controlling Diabetes

This is an interesting piece of news - from Auntie Beeb, again. Following up on my previous post about fatty liver disease, a Hammersmith Hospital NHS Trust team has found that adding a single low-glycemic-index food to a meal reduces blood sugar. I found the first paragraph of the following excerpt from the article a bit ironic - and scary - but overall, the article is quite heartening, and anyone with diabetes would do well to follow their recommendation:
Although the British Dietetic Association has warned against over-reliance on such diets, pointing out ice cream has a low GI value, and the key to losing weight was cutting down on calories.

The Hammersmith team measured the blood sugar levels of nine people on normal diets, and then put them on a low GI diet involving replacing one low GI item per meal for two weeks.

When the readings were taken again eight out of nine subjects had lower blood sugar readings.
Brag: I eat only whole-grain products. In fact, I very very rarely eat bread at all. Mostly, it's bulgur, couscous, whole-grain pasta, brown rice, beans, lentils, and all dem other good things.

Disclaimer: I guess I don't sound quite so holy when I point out that I really like all that stuff, so it's not as if I'm forcing myself to eat stuff that I hate but is good for me. I do, however, have a terrible weakness for potatoes. So I force myself NOT to eat them. Except when I can't take it anymore. Then I cook them with lots of veges and some form of protein and lots of spices. And thoroughly enjoy noshing on them.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Stumble It!

2 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

Thanks, Political Cat -- Lately a small weight gain (to an already obese body) started me back on the scale and working with a friend to help each other plan meals, cook and share our cooked foods and get more exercise in.

This kind of information is what we're looking for. It's a struggle but at least we laugh and giggle a lot while we're shopping and cooking. It's turned into a fun thing to do, which motivates us even more!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Sandy, as soon as I have a spare minute, I will post some lovely vegetable/whole_grain/ recipes for you! It's so nice to see you. Please feel free to mail me any time at thepoliticalcat at gmail dot com. I wish you had an email address. I tried to send you email via your blog, but I don't think you got it. Anyway, I'd love to talk to you offline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home