ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Stop breeding already!

We have plenty of people, we don't need more! I love TPC's rant below, its a pet one of my own, especially as I sit in stop and mostly stop traffic jams trying to commute my way to work. Anyway, Paul B. Farrell over on MarketWatch wrote a nice article about all this breeding that's been going on. Stop it already!

It kind of reminds me of my college days so many years ago when I took bacteriology. I have this memory of plating out petri dishes of agar with this bug or that and watching the colonies grow into an exponential pile covering the agar, hitting a plateau and then collapsing in death after using up their resources and poisoned by their own waste. Maybe the earth is more open and vibrant than a closed petri dish but I have to believe the end result will be pretty much the same unless we learn to live in a sustainable manner. Having 14 kids ain't it. Sterilize the stinking bitch!

Ok, on reflection I am probably being a little harsh on her. I'm guessing she has a level of stupidity or that she is mentally unbalanced or both. And the clinic that agreed to implant all those embryos ought to have their license pulled and prosecute them for malpractice.

Over population will become a cause for war and violent death with too msny people chasing too few resources. Even if the space to house all these people exists. the resources to house and feed an exploding population doesn't. I fear in the future humanity will be forced into hard and brutal choices to survive unless we put in place the one thing we have that bacteria don't and that is the ability to think.

Labels:

Stumble It!

3 Comments:

At 5:12 AM, Blogger Connecticut Man1 said...

Sometimes I feel kind of bad knowing that I have 4 kids because I know overpopulation is a problem. To make matters worse, I don't think they will enjoy even the same amount of success (job and standard of living wise) that even my lesser standard of living is compared to my parents unless some things really change.

We are not having anymore kids now. It is hard enough to take care of 4 that are 4 or 5 years apart. I can not imagine what it would be like to have 6 toddlers running around and eight babies on top of that? It would be enough to make the best of us go insane, IMHO.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

I hear you. I am one of 6 and I know we drove my mom nuts! And you can't blame the kids and this is an issue that I don't think there has been enough discussion or education on. I hope that I am just overly alarmed by the issue and that things will turn out better. I've heard of projections that suggest the world population will stabilize. I hope it stabilizes through good policy and not from other, harsh and brutal causes.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Frogette and I are doing our part. Mid-40's...no kids. We're done.

The only thing that I sort of regret, is that now it looks like my brother won't have any kids either. So our family is done--this generation is the last.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home