ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Draft Stopped the Vietnam War


Over at Salon, there's an article by Cintra Wilson about how effective Code Pink really is. Back in February I wrote a post criticizing Code Pink's protesting at the Marine Center. I still feel critical about those protests ... AND I feel empathy with Code Pink members. It's frustrating when you're working so hard to change things. It's grindingly hard. So, what would change our country's focus on war to solve problems? Here's a letter I wrote to Salon in response to the article:

Most people don't want to talk about this (for good reasons -- they think about the young men and women in their families) but I think what increased protests in the 60's and early 70's and created large noticeable groups of people marching in the streets in practically every area of the U.S. and eventually stopped the Vietnam War was: THE DRAFT.

That and body bags coming back to all communities. That was hard to ignore and go on living as usual ... shopping as usual.

I invite you (as always) to comment.



Labels: ,

Stumble It!

1 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Comrade Misfit said...

I think you're right, the draft made all of the difference. The dying and maiming is being suffered by those who chose to go, which I think reduces the level of outrage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home