ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Meta: Back To Blogging


Argh, we overdid it yesterday, so today is going to be spent feeling crappy. Isn't it amazing how much fluid one's lungs can hold?

The good thing is, we can sit up. So blogging resumes at La Casa de Los Gatos.

Thanks to all for your good wishes. It appears that one parental unit is well enough to be discharged. The other is over the worst, but still has fluid in teh lungs so needs to be on a ventilator. Socialized medicine has its appeal: she is in the hospital being monitored around the clock and her doctor (who will be canonized if we have anything to say about it) is actively watching her and reporting on her condition.

Chest scan, ventilator, blood transfusions, medication, one week in the hospital, round the clock nursing and monitors, endoscopy, colonoscopy. How much did it cost, you ask? Zero. Zilch. Nothing. Not a goddamned penny. And it's a good thing, too, for a pair of hard-working middle-class people who could never otherwise have been able to afford it, and would surely have died.

Just think, they're getting almost as good health care as Dick Cheney, who makes $10 million a year, thanks to taxpayer subsidies. And he doesn't pay a penny for his health care either, because we, the suffering goddamned masses who couldn't afford a day's stay in a decent hospital, are paying for his purported heart to be periodically replaced with fresh, babies' hearts.

Socialized medicine? Bring it on!

And now, on to Caturday, which is our real reason to live.

For those who ask "Why cats?" &mdash they're the perfect writers' companion. Independent, self-sufficient, quirky, enigmatic, they want affection when they want it, on their own terms but are perfectly capable of annoying the fur off each other instead of bothering the busy writer. Attention deferred is fine with them, with the caveat that they might not feel attentive in return when one gets around to it. As long as the food is of good quality and quantity and water is available and the litterbox is cleaned regularly, they don't bloody well need you and have no shame about letting you know it.

On the other hand, if you're settling in for a peaceful sleep in the a.m.-ish, and they're of a mind to strop razorlike claws on your behind, well. That's just how it goes, innit?

Personally, we think of ours as xenoanthropologists doing their post-grad field studies. They're constantly watching and measuring one for various levels of exasperation. We suspect they slip off their little fur suits periodically and slide off to the mothership for a beer with the boys from Betelgeuse. Or wherever they're from.


Have a wonderful weekend, all.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!

3 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

PC - Thank goodness your folks are getting the proper care. The frustration and anxiety at battling the medical system when you don't have proper access must be horrible.

Speaking of cats - I've been spending some quality time with my friend and her cat Chumley. She has cable that includes Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report, so I often spend the earling part of the evening watching yesterday's rerun of these shows. What a hoot!

We've been joined recently by another friend whose very elderly cat died earlier this year (I think she was 18 - and her name was Lizzy, by the way!). My friend has gone gaga over Chumley, just like me. I'm not quite as agile, so I can't play with him on the floor like she can. He gets lots of ribbon chasing in and enjoys her attention thoroughly. Now, instead of retiring to the bedroom when he's had enough of my over stimulation, he remains in the room and keeps us company and we so enjoy his antics. He's more like Jefferson Prestonian's Curly in body type and demeanor, but his presence in the room is huge in spite of not roaring around like a kitten. He's about 8 or 9 now, so he's more dignified in his demeanor. But I must say, he can still kick up his heels when there's a ribbon involved. We crack up all evening. My friend has named the house Chumley Manor -- I think it's a keeper.

Thanks for all your wonderful posts in the midst of your own troubles. I may not post often, but when I do, I hope the length makes up for the previous lack. (Sometimes when I drop by the words don't come -- it has to be something I can relate to personally, I guess, then I have something to say).

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

It's always nice to hear your voice, even if only virtually. I should start dropping by at Plush Life more regularly, just to hear you. %^D

I will, as soon as I finish the book.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Charlotte Hamrick said...

Glad to hear things are looking up for you and parents.

I am so in love with my new kitten, Leo! I've always been a dog person but now I'm smitten. Did you see his story on my blog? It's really challenging keeping him quiet. He doesn't know he has 2 broken legs on the mend. Heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home