ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

News: Tornado Victims


While we were all distracted watching the pretty shiny primaries and football, tornadoes tore through the U.S. killing 57 people and smashing their homes, furniture, and lives. Monkeyfister asks if we can help.

Brothers, sisters, can you spare a dime? Monkeyfister has started a food drive for his local food bank. MF, the inhabitants of Casa de Los Gatos are in a financial crunch now, as you probably already know, with one of us having been laid off with no income except the UI benes that we paid into for 26 years; and the other down to part-time work no benes thanks to Bush's cuts in funding science and research. We'll see what we can scrape together.

Meanwhile, we urge our better-heeled friends and visitors to put their mite towards helping their brothers/sisters in the South. Because, yaknow, our duly unelected Pretzeldumbfuck is too busy praying for the afflicted to actually get off his worthless ass and do anything useful.
President George W. Bush planned to visit on Friday.

Disaster response has been a hot issue since Hurricane Katrina in 2005 when the federal government came under criticism for its slow response to the storm which devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.
Geebus fuck a duck, the Walking Disaster is planning to visit? Better find out his itinerary so you can send aid to the afflicted communities. They'll need it after Mr. Reverse Midas Touch "Everything I touch turns to Shit" flies in.

Monkeyfister recommends you send help here:

American Red Cross
Mid-South Chapter
1400 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
901-726-1690

And:
United Way of the Mid-South phone in a donation at (901) 433-4300.

He also points out
I can't describe how wide-spread the damage is down here. It's enormous. The Media, per usual, is only just now waking up to the situation, after their Super-Duper-Let's-All-Wet-Our-Pants-Together- Tuesday Political Hangover. Like NOLA, these are REALLY poor folks down here, and have nothing, and nowhere to go.
Our hearts go out to you and all down there, Mf. Wish we had more to send than just our good wishes, which won't put a drop of soup in anyone's empty bowl. We will, however, quietly pressure our much-abused friends to see if any of them can siphon off some of their funds in your direction.

And just because a cute cat pitcher makes people look:

O HALP! YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE!
moar funny pictures

Stumble It!

3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger --mf said...

OT--

OK.


Here's a rough update on the status of the Blog Swarm for Mid-South Tornado Relief...

I'm shocked, awed, and overwhelmed tonight!

At least a HUNDRED blogs from every aspect of the political spectrum have taken part in this swarm of goodness. I want to take a moment to thank Chuck Adkins, a blogger at the Town Hall Blog Community and other places for picking up my plea, and spreading it far and wide through the Conservative 'sphere. He's right-- this isn't about politics, but I had to somewhere.

It will be days before I get everyone thanked properly. But, I'm starting right now, and every day, I will post another set of Thank Yous, until either my fingers fall off and my eyes go blind, or I get to the end of the list. Let's hope for the latter.

In the past 24-hours, we raised between $13,000 (minimum) to somewhere in the neighborhood of $92,000 for the Mid-South Chapter of the American Red Cross and the Mid-South Chapter of United Way.

I thank each and every one of you who participated in this immense act of Kindness-- Bloggers and Donors alike. We made an enormous difference between HOPE and Despair today.

Damn, I'm proud of you all. I've never been so impressed and touched like this in my life. If there is a Statistician in the house, I'd LOVE for you to put the calipers on my numbers.

You can see how I derived this large range-spread at my place:

Monkeyfister

I don't think that I am far off.

PLEASE pass this around, as there is no way in hell that I can reach everyone who has participated in this action in any sensible way.

All of my love, and two scoops of IOU to each and every one of you.

Your Friend, Fan and Admirer,

~Monkeyfister~

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Hey, MF, I'm just glad it helped. America has a big heart, its generosity is never in doubt. Once we get the crooks, liars, and shills that are infesting the house OUT, we can put our house in order and show the world what we are made of!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger --mf said...

AMEN!

--mf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home