ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

HEALTHY, CONFIDENT & OPTIMISTIC

I just came back from seeing SiCKO. What a swirl of intense emotions I felt during that film!

Shame ... I just wanted to yell SHAME SHAME SHAME in all of our "leaders" faces. A small country like Cuba can take care of its citizens. What's up with us?

I felt shame about myself because we in the U.S. are not like the French ... we don't march in the streets ... occasionally, yes. But do our leaders fear us? No. Isn't it healthy for leaders to fear the citizenry? Instead of the other way around?

I mostly felt envy. Envy for those people that do not have to worry about health care costs. You might ask me: "You have insurance, surely you don't have to worry?" Yes, I do. What if I was hit with something catastrophic? I'd lose my house. No doubt. For the last 3 years, my dental bills have been several thousand dollars over what my dental plan covers. Knee replacement surgery? Not sure. I'm afraid to ask.

I live in fear.

It's kind of like the fear of rape. What would it be like to live in a whole world ... not just my little part of the world ... no, the whole world ... what would it be like if we eradicated rape?

What would it be like to have free universal health care?

In this country people used to talk about "conflict of interest" ... isn't the whole system of who will be given insurance ... what health treatments will be paid for ... dictated by health insurance companies ... isn't that a conflict of interest?

I really recommend this film. I was dragging my feet ... I wanted to see it ... but I kept thinking "I'm a poster child for free universal health care. I had a root canal with no anesthesia because I had no insurance and went to a neighborhood clinic. I had an operation under someone else's name because I had no insurance. I didn't get physical therapy when I should have because of lack of insurance. I was sick for a whole year in my twenties because I didn't have insurance ... etc." But I got a lot out of it. Determination to get going and do something. Also, the movie is not just about health care .... it's about a whole way of life. Please see it.

A former member of Parliament talks in SiCKO about people being afraid and demoralized ... that some people in government want citizens to feel that way. "People who are healthy, confident, and optimistic are much harder to rule."

'nuff said.

Labels: , , , ,

Stumble It!

1 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Wow. You so rock. And rule.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home