ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Friday, December 25, 2009

OK peeples, I know this blog is more about cats than dogs but ...

... 100 years ago John Muir published a story about a dangerous adventure he had on an Alaskan glacier with a bunched up little toy of a dog named Stickeen that is a delight to read. The entire short story is available at the link for Google books. What I found so endearing about it was the full range of understanding, emotion, and feeling this ultimately triumphant little dog expresses in facing down his own fears and conquering them. It broughts a tear to my eye! No really, it's sweet and I don't even think the kitteh's will mind. You have to scroll down through the bio on John Muir to get to the story but his bio is worth reading as well. Enjoy.

Labels: , ,

Stumble It!

5 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

Nobody liked the story, whimper, whimper, sniff, sniff. Oh well. I did!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Girlfriend! I've barely had time to fart, lately.

It's true, I haven't read the story yet. But it's on today's to-do list, OK?

Love you, baby. Dry those big beautiful crying blue eyes. Have you seen Avatar yet? If not, ya wanna? In 3D. Yes?

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

Hi TPC, Miss you and take some time and fart a big one for me! But be sure to point at a piggy repiglican and not me. :-)

I am happy to hear this story is on your list. And I should have pointed out that it is short and only takes about 10 minutes to read it. Well, that is what it took me and I am a slow reader, stopping constantly to smell the roses and enjoy the prose. And it really is a sweet story of a little dog facing up to his worst fears and conquering them and then having a most wonderful end zone celebration that would put the showiest NFL receiver to shame! Let me know how you like it!

OH, and no, I haven't seen Avatar yet and I do want to see it. I'm not sure when would be good though.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

OMG. What a beautiful story. I had no idea John Muir was such a fine writer in addition to being a naturalist. His description of the flying snow, the crevasse, the storm, and the sweet little dog who crossed it with him ... thank you so much, sweetheart. That was thoroughly beautiful.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

I had no idea John Muir was such a fine writer either. And to me, this short and TRUE life little story is too much of a gem not to share. I have been trying to get a lot of people to read it and failing miserably at it. But everyone I know who has read it, has been thrilled that they did. It's great! And it makes me want to pickup that little dog and give him a big hug and make him warm and cozy. And you are welcome TPC. YAH! Big :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home