ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

If you haven't said "God damn America" sometime in your life, then you're not paying attention

I suppose I am part of the choir ... not racially but ideologically ... Rev. Dr. Jerimiah Wright, I really don't disagree with any of the quotes I've seen of yours. Okay, the "God damn America" is harsh, but I've said that ... I'm sure I said that when I was watching in frustration as NOBODY was going to New Orleans to help the folks there after Katrina. Remember how long those folks had to wait ... are still waiting? Yes, I'm sure I said "God damn America" then. I'm sure I said it after the 2000 and 2004 elections ... what no free and open elections? Remember, folks, I believe the elections were stolen. So, yeah, I'm sure I said "God damn America" then. Other times I may have said it:
-- Invasion of Iraq
-- When I think about the fact that we're not told about Iraqi casualties ... no body counts there. No photographs of body bags of U.S. soldiers coming back.
-- $$$$$ floating in my brain when I think of Halliburton and other companies making money off of this unjust war ... a war build on lies ... lies of our highest leader. Oh, yes, I said it plenty after those thoughts ran through my synapses.
-- After the invasion of Iraq when nobody ordered the troops to guard the museum there in Baghdad ... you know, when all that art and antiquities were looted.
-- When I read history, I say it plenty. Wounded Knee?
-- Thinking about how women had to fight fight fight for the right to vote.
-- Thinking about traveling around the country in my car ... my car with the gay stickers on it ... and worrying if I'll be attacked.
-- Just a couple of days ago when I heard that story on the radio about this little girl who now has leukemia because she's been living in a trailer in Louisiana ... a trailer provided by FEMA after Katrina. Oh, yeah, I'm sure I said it then.

Folks, I've also said "Goddess bless America" ... many times. Because we can't forget the good things that some people (rarely our leaders) have done out of the goodness and the courage in their hearts. Like those beautiful big marches on Washington ... yes, memories of those makes my heart sing. All the volunteers that have gone and helped folks in the Gulf states.

I believe that this commotion about Rev. Dr. Wright is part of the usual dirty politics and smearing that goes on. I'm sure Karl Rove is laughing behind his hand.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!

5 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

I'm sure Katrina had people saying it quite a bit &mdash and not just the people in NOLA.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

You got all that right TPC. And I have said it all too. I grew up believing in this myth that everything we did as a nation was good and just and that we never perpetuated any kind of evil in the world. How stupid could I have been? I don't know, I guess a lot of it was really just plain ignorance, believing the propaganda fed to us. And dollars to donuts, I bet if you counted up all the bodies around the world that we have killed since WWII, directly in our holy wars or indirectly through our chosen dictators, our pile would be higher than all the rest of the piles around the world put together. And for those that support our killing, I still ask, what part of thou shalt not kill do you not understand? It took me a good part of my life to learn to understand that. I think more and more Americans are learning to understand it. I wish the rest of us would learn it too. And then, though I don't believe in god, I could at least proudly say, Bless America.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Chuck Butcher said...

As a profoundly non-religious person I don't find much odd about s**t storms around religion in politics. That said, if you take the Jeffersonian approach to Christianity and use the word of their guy and compare it to America's past and present the word Bless doesn't occurr. Not that it would be political suicide to make that argument...

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Ms. Manitoba said...

A book I want to read:

Founding Faith: Providence, Politics, and the Birth of Religious Freedom in America - by Steven Waldman.

He was interviewed last week on Fresh Air == very interesting. He talks about the "Founding Fathers" and how they really did NOT espouse the type of religion that now spouts from the mouths of many politicians including our Fearful Leader. You can listen to the interview by going to www.npr.org and looking for the program Fresh Air.

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home