ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Health (and Science) News for the week

Gee, what a surprise. As the FDA's budget is reduced, it conducts fewer inspections and the number of incidents of death and disease from contaminated food increase. What's that favorite line of the Bush (mis)administration? "No one could have predicted" that this would happen?

In other news, researchers at Cornell are asking if television is linked to autism. I like it. After all, autism rates have skyrocketed over the past 50 years or so. What else have children been exposed to uniformly during this time? It ain't thimerosal.

Lovely. Just toss those vitamin supplements. Danish researchers say they increase your risk of mortality.

I tend to get my science news from Science News (heh), so I don't know much about Discover magazine. Is it a reliable source of information? In any event, it posts some very interesting information about toxoplasma gondii. If every remaining human were infected, would women just die out? I'm not speculating seriously, just being silly.

Know someone who snores? Point them to this article, and lock them out of your bedroom. Two years off my life?!? Dude, I can so do without THAT. You know who you are. Oh, yeah, an interesting piece of fluff published in today's local fishwrap indicates a strong trend towards separate bedroom suites for married folks. I can see that happening, kinda. I hate having my sleep disturbed.

Oh, My Gawd. The Japanese are so kicking our collective butt in the research and robotics areas. A miniaturized beetle robot for minimally invasive exploration, surgery, and drug delivery. AAAAGH.

First, there was the hole in the ozone layer. Now there's a hole in Earth's mantle. Do you get the feeling this is something like an eviction notice for the human species?

Thrill a minute. Bausch and Lomb suffers yet another scandal in their eyecare products line. I'm'a have to find me a different supplier, y'know?

Improved DNA testing can help identify rapists.

Stumble It!

2 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

Political Cat:

Just a suggestion: You might want to try doing a separate entry for each item. You might get more comments if you were to do that. The reason I'm saying this is that I tend to get overwhelmed by all the posts (interesting as they may be separately) and then get stalled out on commenting. Some things interest me more than others and I could make a quick comment instead of having to copy something to commment about.

Just saying.

Many interesting items you find!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

Know someone who snores? Point them to this article, and lock them out of your bedroom. Two years off my life?!? Dude, I can so do without THAT.

An example of what I was saying above:

My nephew is in his first year of college and his roommate snores and interrupts a good night's sleep for him. He's not sure what to do. I've suggested to his parents that it is crucial that they address this because sleeplessness causes all sorts of problems for people in their daily lives and in their moods and abilities to think clearly. He's afraid to hurt his roommate's feelings. My thinking is this is a great opportunity for him to learn how to set boundaries for himself out in the "real world" and take care of himself, or he'll always have trouble being assertive in issues that pertain to him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home