ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Senator Obama, do not vote for FISA!

image from stonefruit.blogspot.com

Yes, count me as one of the many Obama supporters who do NOT support his intention to vote for the amended FISA legislation. I had pledged to send in some money every month until the general election -- BUT I WILL NOT SEND A PENNY -- if he votes for FISA.

If you want to read a summary of why this is not a good bill, you can go to a web page put together by Senator Russ Feingold. Here's an excerpt from that page:

No Prohibition on Bulk Collection

The bill does not include a prohibition on bulk collection – the collection of all international communications into and out of the U.S. to a whole continent or even the entire world. Such collection would be constitutionally suspect and would go well beyond what the government has says it needs to protect the American people. This protection was in the Senate Judiciary Committee bill, and it garnered the support of 37 Senators on the Senate floor.

And here's an excerpt from the email I sent to Senator Obama's web site:
... if Senator Obama votes for FISA ... that's it ... no money from me. If he does, he's showing me that he's like all the other politicians:
-- will do anything to get elected
-- spineless Democrat

And a month ago I had such hope.
Senator Obama, you are ruining your image of "I"m different" -- DO NOT VOTE FOR FISA.

From Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr:
Cowardice asks the question is it safe?
Expediency asks the question is it politic?
Vanity asks the question is it popular?
But conscience asks the question is it right?
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right.


Want to send Senator Obama a message? Go here.

Labels: , ,

Stumble It!

8 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe he's just a politician afterall

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Queers United said...

i am losing faith in obama faster than the speed of light... i thought he was different, i thought he represented change. I am very dissapointed.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between the FISA backtrack and the faith-based initiative imbroglio, Obama's giving every impression of a man trying to sabotage himself.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

.. and I was ready to send Obama money too and now I won't be doing that. I think I'll send it to Cindy Sheehan instead. And I am sooooo tempted to vote for Nadar as a protest over both FISA and the "faith based" crap. As an athiest I pay taxes for goverment supplied services, not religion. And furthermore I am so sick and tired of seeing in the news that Bush started his warrantless spying on us AFTER 9/11 when it is a matter of record that he started spying on us months BEFORE, shortly after stealing office in early 2001. The powers that be are clearly trying to re-write history (anyone read 1984?). It all makes me so mad I could scream. As to how I will vote, we'll see. I don't think the coutry or the planet can endure 4 or more years of a President McCain and I shudder to think of the thugs McCain would place on the Supreme Court. I may have to hold my nose and vote for Obama anyway. We'll see but I too am terribly disappointed.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger zoe said...

welcome back.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Thanks, Zoe. How did you know?

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Folks, as jmderosa points out, he IS a politician. Just like all the others running for the Presidency. Let's face it, this is not the kind of stuff 99 per cent of us do, or want to do. By default, only politicans run for the position. And politicians MUST attract at least 51 per cent of the electorate's support to win the race.

That said, I also don't think that Obama is the magic solution to all our woes. This democracy has truly been tried, and in order for it to survive, each and every citizen who values it must strive to ensure that undemocratic actions are brought into the light and punished as need be. Senator Obama can't make that happen. Only WE can. So, Yes WE Can! It's a good slogan, but it conceals a deeper meaning. The guy isn't saying Yes I Can. We can't stop fighting this fight till we get him in the WH because this nation CANNOT afford McCain for even ONE MONTH.

So back to work, fellow slackers, and let's do our best. Once he's in, we start looking at those Blue Dog Democrats who always vote with the Republicans and against their fellow Democrats. We must ensure a progressive future for this badly damaged nation.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger zoe said...

I knew just because I checked everyday. Welcome home, and so sorry about your mother. How is your Father doing? How are you doing? Lots of love from the White Dog house going your way. Seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home