ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Human Rights Invented America


Today is Jimmy Carter's birthday.

From today's Writer's Almanac (http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/):
He became one of the most active ex-presidents in American history, traveled all over the world talking about human rights, fair elections, new farming techniques, and water safety; brokered several cease fires, wrote numerous books, and got into carpentry, helping to build houses for the poor with Habitat for Humanity. He even carved his own four-poster bed for himself and his wife. He said, "As president, I wouldn't have had time to do all the things I'm doing now." He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 — Jimmy Carter, who said, "America did not invent human rights. In a very real way, human rights invented America."
I don't want to romanticize him ... because when he was president I did have lots of criticisms about him. But as a world citizen, I do respect him. And it's with great bitterness that I read that last line - his quote. Our current president ... oh, dang ... I'm just disgusted. Human rights are the furthest thing from his rabid mind.

Labels:

Stumble It!

2 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Blue Girl, Red State said...

Happy Birthday President Carter, and may you enjoy many more. I, too, had criticisms when he was president. He has certainly abated them in his post-presidential years, however.

Love your politics, by the way! I'm already glad I did the amnesty! It might have taken me forever to discover you otherwise! It was my pleasure to link you up!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Blue Girl, Red State said...

And I apologize to bloggers throughout blogtopia (sctp!) for using up all of the exclamation points in one comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home