ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

I pay taxes so the filthy god damn rich don't have to!

Yes, our precious, needy rich should not have to pay taxes. None at all. The only people who should pay taxes are us poor suckers in the middle and lower classes, at least that is what Republicans think. No wonder I hate the fucking bastards so much.

How much do the rich pay? A lot. Yes, it's true, the rich pay a tremendous amount of taxes in this country, they really do and I don't dispute that for a second.

Except that is the wrong fucking question.

The right question we should all be asking is how much do the rich pay as a percentage of their income? Warren Buffett has famously said that he pays less as a percentage of his income than his secretary does and he says that isn't fair. And you know what, I totally agree with him.

Indeed, I would like to see this country return to the progressive tax system that we had under President Eisenhower, where the top rate was 91%. There are all kinds of great reasons to return to that tax policy and as far as I am concerned, there are NO (ZERO, NADA, ZILCH, ZIP, NONE) good reasons not to and to keep things the way they are.

But since it is late and I have to get up early in the morning, I am going to leave you with one good reason found in the quite below that we should be soaking the rich, the fucking freeloaders that they are. Need I say more?


"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
Louis D. Brandeis (Supreme Court Judge)

Labels:

Stumble It!

6 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Blogger 8 said...

Amen. You said it well.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

Thank you Michael! And spread the meme whenever you get a chance. Maybe if enough people think about the issue..

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The huge divide between the haves and the have-nots is only getting bigger by the day, especially when you consider that the 400 wealthiest Americans have a combined net worth equal to the current budget deficit of this country - around $1.4 trillion.

If they can't afford another 3 to 4%, something is horribly wrong with this country. I'm not holding my breath that things will get any better.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger boneman said...

you're the first (besides my girlfriend) to comment there.
And, hey...looks like a nice blog, too.
Howdy.
(don't let the name fool you...
Maxwell is my dog.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

I hate to say it Alan but I think you are right. There has been a tremendous re-distribution of wealth upwards into the hand of a relatively very small number of people and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

One of the things I find so depressing is the hoards of lower and middle class Americans who are totally sold on the radical conservative mantras. They're brainwashed into believing Democrats are all bad and evil people and Republicans are God's chosen special few. And it seems most of my relatives buy that bull crap hook, line, and sinker and too many other people I know do too.

How do you break through that? All these people voting against their own self interest in favor of the obscenely filthy rich. They are not only hurting their self interest, they are hurting mine too. And it's almost no use arguing with them. Druggy Rush Limbutt told them how to think and so that is how they think and there is no telling them otherwise. Sometimes it just feels hopeless.

But I hope that maybe if I could come up with the right bumper sticker, then maybe it might break through. So the title of this post is my bumper sticker. I would love to see it take hold and spread. Maybe it will get people thinking again. One can hope.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger libhom said...

Making the rich pay their fair share in taxes definitely is long overdue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home